In order to apply to the program, students must complete both of the following requirements:
- 1. Subject Matter Preparation: Secondary teachers must be competent and knowledgeable in the subject(s) they teach. This competency may be documented in one of two ways:
- Subject Matter Preparation Program (SMPP) coursework option:
Also known as the “math major” option, candidates may demonstrate subject matter preparation by completing a series of coursework equivalent to earning a BA in Mathematics in the Teaching Concentration, or in another concentration with a Teaching cognate. This series of coursework is referred to as a Subject Matter Preparation Program. The required classes are listed at https://www.fullerton.edu/cct/Single_Subj/SMPPS/smppmath.pdf. This option is recommended for most candidates.
- CSET option:
Candidates who have a bachelor’s degree in another subject may demonstrate subject matter preparation by successfully passing the California Subject Exam for Teachers. Three subtests are required:
- o#110 Subtest I Mathematics Algebra; Number Theory
- o#111 Subtest II Mathematics Geometry; Probability and Statistics
- o#112 Subtest III Mathematics Calculus; History of Mathematics
- 2.Prerequisite Education Coursework:
Secondary teachers must successfully complete a series of prerequisite education courses before entering the credential program. These courses are
- EDSC 310
- EDSC 320
- EDSC 330
- EDSC 340
- In addition, EDSC 304 may be taken before or during the credential program.
Additional information on applying to the program can be found at http://ed.fullerton.edu/SecEd/CredentialProg/Index.htm.